My Photo
Name:

I look taller than I am, people always think that they know me,I almost know how to speak Spanish, I always need 4 more cents in the line at 7-11, I love art though I can't draw, I like to travel but I hate to unpack, I like to stare at cats.

Thursday, April 02, 2009

Overcast Days



In most spots around the country, maybe even around the world an overcast day is nothing to mention, certainly nothing to write about. But that's in other places. In Los Angeles it creates a glorious mood, a world of potential. There is a feeling of being somewhere else. Since it's obviously still L.A. this tendency of mind wandering only lasts so long. The second you see the first palm frond lying on someones BMW hood you are reminded. But there are long-sleeved tops to choose from, sweaters to consider and warm tea's to embrace. Everything slows down and people stride with a purpose that's hard to imitate when it's over 85 degrees and sunny. The cool demands your body to go outside and see what is going on. Clouds cause you to lose track of time, dream-like, 4p.m. looks exactly like 10a.m. did, if not identical twins then close cousins. The day causes me to grab my MP3, (yes I am a freak and don't own an IPOD) and walk around my neighborhood, seeing all sorts of things I never notice when I'm driving. I make human eye to eye contact, exchange a smile or a word and really see the faces of babies in strollers. But when it's hot I can talk myself out of it. Sitcom repeats are funnier, the living room is nice and cool and the couch feels worn in just the right spots, the central air-hypnotic. What's my point? It's that I need to look up more. I need to remember the wonder of the change in the weather and not assume that days will always be sunny, that L.A. will always be bordering on a drought and that people are too busy to appreciate a cloud or two.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home